Swets has asked Polteq to create a proposal regarding the definition and implementation of an efficient End-to-End test process, that focuses on test automation and regression. This implies that (automated) testing of new functionality is not in scope, the goal is to create a (semi) continuous approach to verify that the systems continue to support the core business (processes).
The proposed solution needed to address a (lean and mean) approach covering tooling, a process focusing on maintaining and continuous improvement of the End-to-End Test as well as the Regression Test, the required skills (including training et cetera); in short: a mature End-to-End and Regression Test organization, SWETS as “director”, the (outsourced) test team as “actor”.
After having conducted a documentation and environment study a Proof of Concept was made to come to the right tooling. Since the preference for the websites was clear, Selenium, the focus of the PoC was directed to the Cobol back-end systemen. Two tools were selected to be used within the Proof of Concept: Jagacy and s3270.
Result of the proof of concept is an automation roadmap with the aim to roll out test automation across both the websites and the legacy systems
when: December 2003 – December 2005
roles: Quality Assurance manager, Project Manager, System Engineer, System Adminstrator
- Lingo Online (http://www.lingo.nl
- Vara VroegeVogels (http://www.vroegevogels.vara.nl) Responsible as both Quality Manager and Project Manager
- Vara Kassa (http://www.kassa.vara.nl) Responsible as both Quality Manager and Project Manager.
- VPRO Webwinkel (http://www.vpro.nl , not live at this moment) Responsible as both Quality Manager and Project Manager.
- WIAB admin interface change (http://www.amsterdam.nl)
- Amsterdam Stadstoezicht WIAB implementation (http://www.stadstoezicht.amsterdam.nl)
- La Perla Living website (http://www.laperlaliving.com ), responsible as both Quality Manager and Project Manager.
- Leiderdorp website ( http://www.leiderdorp.nl ), Responsible as both Quality Manager and Project Manager
- PostbankKaraoke action (http://www.postbankkaraoke.nl ) Not live anymore at this moment, but visible at http://www.brandbase.nl/karaoke/. Responsible as both Quality Manager and Project Manager
- Teleac PeuterTV website (http://www.peutertv.nl), responsible as both Quality Manager and Project Manager
- Philips AmeezingConcert 1 (http://www.ameezingconcert.nl). Responsible as both Quality Manager and Project Manager. Also installation and maintenance of the application on the hosted server belonged to some of my core tasks.
- Audit of TeleacNOT corporate websites on performance and scalability
- Heineken Belkado (http://www2.belkado.nl ) Responsible as both Quality Manager and Project Manager. Also installation and maintenance of the application on the hosted server belonged to some of my core tasks.
- Bosbros redesign logo, website and leader (http://www.bosbros.com ), responsible as both Quality Manager and Project Manager. Also installation and maintenance of the application on the hosted server belonged to some of my core tasks.
- Within Quantiq I was also responsible for the installation and support of all servers, this included test-servers, development servers and production servers. Tasks were amongst others: Installing the OS, updating the patch-level of the OS, installing application servers, databases, JVM’s etc. creating deployment and start/stop scripts and general maintenance on the servers. Servers used within Quantiq mainly used Mandrake Linux and RedHat 7.*
- Logon Mobile Conference Assistant. The Logon Mobile Conference Assistant is an application which provides a mobile interface to agenda, speaker information, notification, information requests, polls etc. used for conferences such as Tine (Rai-Amsterdam (NL)), Vodafone Developers Summit (MECC-Maastricht (NL), Dusseldorff (Germany) et.al.), BioNale (MECC-Maastricht (NL)).For this project I was responsible for Quality management of all projects, this included load testing and testing the application on all possible devices, varying from modern mobile phones, to PDA, to old mobilephones. Beside Quality Management I was responsible for the production environment, including deployment and monitoring of the application during the conferences.
- I was quality assurance manager for KPN fixed and mobile customer self-care billing environment. I managed the test team, set-up and described the test cases and performed hands-on bug tracking and hunting. I reported to project manager and director.
- I was quality control and test manager for the Vodafone Live! Project as well as for other Vodafone sites. The tasks involved initializing the quality process, ensuring unit-tests were automated with a daily quality check, describing and implementing the master test plan and quality control, load testing, security testing, leading the test team at both technical and functional levels. In this role I reported to the development manager and directly to the ICT manager. The Dutch Vodafone Live! Product group are proven monthly to score at the top level of the European group due mainly to the quality of my work. The user group is moving towards 1,000,000.
when: May 2002 – November 2003
role: Software tester
Main tasks at Finalist consisted of implementing Quality Control throughout the company and testing software built by Finalist for our clients.
Finalist is a JAVA/ J2EE company based in Rotterdam, Eindhoven and Amsterdam.
- Vodafone Live! I was QA and Test lead for the Vodafone Live! project in The Netherlands. Testing the system consisted of low-level (server level) testing of the servers, middle level testing of the ER2 billing system and high level testing of the services and end-user functionalities. The environment is a multi-clustered multi-processor distributed server park involving BeaWeblogic, Oracle, Apache, IPlanet, J2EE, XML, JSP, Solaris, Windows, Mobile, LDAP, GPRS, HTTP, HTTPS, SSL. I was responsible in ensuring successful end-to-end testing and problem resolution support within this environment. The nightly builds and development quality process was initiated and managed by me.
- TNT Post Group (TPG). I was responsible for testing the software we wrote for Netwerk VSP, daughter company of TPG. This software consists of a system for distributing commercial folders through Holland.
September 2000 – April 2002
role: Software Quality Assurance/Software Tester
Main tasks consist of creating and writing test plans and strategies for the software created. Testing the software on all levels, logging bugs and performing the bug tracking throughout the development cycles, doing research after Total Quality Management for the near future, I was also involved in keeping the build procedures up to date. Furthermore I held key roles in Configuration Management and Release Management processes. I maintained the bugtracking system (Bugzilla). As BuildMeister and QA I was moving the company towards an Extreme Programming environment. Making sure every piece of code has it’s own Unit test, helping introducing code conventions, Continuous Integration and testing the procedures within the company itself as well as the code being built
The environment involved a lot of Perl and Shell-scripts for testing and also Java testing tools. I here became very familiar with Jmeter, Junit, Jtest, HTTPUnit and SmartHaven also made proprietary test programs.
Mentoring several junior testers in learning the basic skills of testing and creating test plans and their understanding of Test Strategies.
- Intelligent Agent Platform. Involved front-end, middle-wear and backend testing.
- Subme. Involved front-end, middle-wear and backe-end testing. Subme was a web-based intelligent search engine. Based on search behaviour and the ratings to certain sites, subme would enhance the results you get from the web while searching.
- Personalised Services Platform. This is a complete middle-wear solution, to be used as a communications platform for all media (wap, interactive TV, internet etc.) using xml.
- Classification Engine. A J2EE component with a swing administration interface, classifies documents according to a pre-defined taxonomy. This piece of software consists of several individual components (TaxonomyManager, Classifier, Profiler and the Swing interface framework and several addins).
- Language Identifier. Component that identifies languages used within any text (20 + languages)
- Keywordgenerator. Component that reads through text files and generates keywords according to the weight the words have within this text. This component is used by our customers as a MS Word plugin to automatically create the search keywords one can use to find files in unstructured databases.
- Indexgenerator. Component that is based around the KeywordGenerator, this application is able to read through several documents or directories and generates an index based on the keyword generated from the files found. Along with the index-phrases it makes references to the various files and the location of those files. All aspects are editable within the Swing GUI.
- Document Converter. This application, based around third party software is mainly used as an addition to other applications provided by SmartHaven. It is capable of converting documents from various formats into plain text or XML.
- Taxonomygenerator. By reading through files and directories this application generates keyphrases according to which it is able to generate a useful taxonomy. this taxonomy can than be used for the SmartHaven ClassificationEngine and other SmartHaven or third party applications.